According to US defence secretary Ash Carter:
- The return of great power competition with :
- Russian aggression in Europe and
- China’s rise threatening the stability of the Asia-Pacific region
- North Korea as a nuclear-armed rogue state.
- The continuing malign intentions of Iran despite the nuclear deal.
- The “tumour” of jihadist terrorism, above all in the form of ISIS, “metastasizing” around the world
source : The Economist
Ewa Kopacz is likely to become the next Poland’s Prime Minister replacing Donald Tusk, who will move to Brussels as President of European Council on Dec. 1. Mrs Kopacz at the moment occupies the position of the Marshal of the Sejm (Lower House Speaker). She is also vice chairwoman of the Civic Platform, a liberal-conservative party, leading the ruling coalition in Poland.
If Ewa ascents to the head of the Polish government, she will join Angela Merkel of Germany and Helle Thorning-Schmidt of Denmark at the European Council (Heads of Government) table. 3 out of 28…We can do better I suppose.
Following an Albanian government decision, taken in the middle of August, the country will deliver armement to the Kurds fighting the ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria). On Aug 24. started the delivery of 10.000 Kalashnikov rifles, 22 million of 7,62 mm cartridges, 5.000 grenades and 32.000 pieces of ammunitions for rocket lunchers.
Albania belongs to a group of States (Albania, Germany, Canada, Croatia and Denmark, Great Britain, France and Italie) that provide arms to the Kurds.
DefenceNews magazine recently published the Top 100 defense firms. At the top of the list remains (by far) Lockheed Martin. At the top of the firm reigns a woman: Marillyn Hewson. Chairman, President and CEO, according to Forbes Magazine the #21 most powerful woman in the world. Unquestionably an “Iron Woman”
- A decision has been finalized for an order between 100 to 120 F-35s, (5th generation fighter) some of which will replace the fleet of F-4 and F-16 aircraft. The F-35s will be used in unison with the indigenous TF-X fighter planned for maiden flight in 2023, country’s centennial as a modern republic.
- Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI) will continue its design efforts for Gokturk-3, Turkey’s first indigenous SAR satellite. Turkey launched its first high-resolution reconnaissance satellite, Gokturk-2, to space from China’s Jiuquan launch facility in 2012. Construction of a second satellite by Italy’s Telespazio with even higher capabilities, Gokturk-1, is scheduled for launch in late 2014.
- New contract negotiations were also awarded to Selah Makine shipyards for the construction of two logistics support ships,
- Ares shipyards are to build an undisclosed number of SEAL insertion boats, and MTA to procure two propulsion systems for the Turkish Navy’s Ada-class (also known as Milgem) corvettes.
- Negotiation are in progress with China, regarding it’s HQ-9 missile system in the frame of Turkish strategic T-LORAMIDS high-altitude missile defense system.
the event :Moldova is to sign an association and free trade pact with the European Union on June 27 in Brussels.
the history: Moldova was part of Romania between the two world wars, after which the Soviet Union annexed it. Most people speak Romanian, although the constitution calls the language Moldovan. Russian remains widely spoken, however. Russian Vice-President Dmitri Rogozin said that if Moldova signs the pact, the Kremlin “will insist on revising economic relations with Moldova”, which is entirely dependent on Russia for gas.
the (my) comment: Will this event ignite a new wave of turbulences in the area?