- The European election is the biggest in the World after India (keep in mind that in China there is no real elections…)
- At some €1,75 billion a year, the European Parliament costs more then the British, French and German national Parliaments put together.
- The EP works with 24 languages
- The MEPs need to work in the places : Brussels, Strasbourg and Luxembourg. All that moving around burdens good old earth with 19.000 tonnes of CO2 per year.
- The EU buildings in Strasbourg are empty for 317 days of the year.
- In 2009 the voting turnout was 43% of the total electoral body.
- Since 1979 MEPs have been elected by direct universal suffrage for a five-year period. Until then, national parliaments nominated the MEPs.
- The country mostly represented is Germany with 99 MEP . In the antipodes, Estonia and Cyprus send 6.
main source: the economist